bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : My advice? Write what you know. My little brother is 10 and I can't imagine him writing an accurate story about teenage romance. If you are intent on writing an entire series at your age, - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

My advice? Write what you know. My little brother is 10 and I can't imagine him writing an accurate story about teenage romance. If you are intent on writing an entire series at your age, I strongly encourage you to write for a young audience.

That being said, a story told from the point of view of a 10-year-old about what they observe of the lives of the "older kids" could use some vague, humorously ill-informed descriptions. For example:

I saw an older boy and a girl the same age just sitting next to each other talking, and the next time I looked, he was trying to bite her neck like a vampire and had one of his hands... well... somewhere hands aren't supposed to be! I ran all the way to the other side of the school to tell the principal that a student was being eaten, but he didn't believe me. Grown-ups.

By the way, just because you're writing about older characters doesn't mean they have to date. I'm 18 (almost done Grade 12) and I've never been on a real date. I don't have my own car, and I basically spend all my time either working at the grocery store or doing schoolwork or scrolling through StackExchange websites like this one. In other words, I don't have very much time for romance.

Basically, I see two options:

Write about young characters and make them realistic.
Write about older characters and expect people to laugh (in a good way) at your intentionally imperfect descriptions.

Either way, I wish you luck!

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Berryessa137

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best