bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Successful (non YA) epic high fantasy published episodically as a novella series The high fantasy genre is notorious for producing enormous tomes. I am currently writing a BronzePunk epic of my - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

The high fantasy genre is notorious for producing enormous tomes.

I am currently writing a BronzePunk epic of my own. However, I have chosen to publish it somewhat episodically as a series of novellas / short novels of between 30k and 35k word length so this is NOT the same as publishing individual chapters. Each is 50:50 stand alone / part of the series (neither 'completely stand alone' nor 'just another chapter in the action'). Having already published the first three episodes (as presented on my blog & website), I have received positive feedback from readers and critics with Star ratings averaging between 4.0 and 4.5 on Amazon and Goodreads (all from strangers as I have studiously avoided campaigning amongst friends and family). However, over a year after publishing the first book and following targeted and focused marketing efforts, sales remain very low (total combined sales of ebook and paperback for all three episodes about 200 copies so far).

I am beginning to wonder if my basic format choice is doomed to failure. Perhaps, I should write more of the story in one go and publish it as a 300k word house brick all at once. In the age of the ebook, larger books don't suffer from weight and size inconvenience so much any more. However, un-known indie-authors are often advised to keep their debuts short.

What examples of long running and successful (principally judged by commercial metrics) epic high fantasy series released episodically in shorter formats are there?

For bonus kudos the answers should ideally be Adult / Grimmdark / non-graphic & non-light / High Fantasy.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Berryessa137

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best