bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Mixing up mythology So I am writing a book in which I want to include gods from different mythologies, like Erebus from greek and Heka from egyptian mythology. but I don't know how I should - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

So I am writing a book in which I want to include gods from different mythologies, like Erebus from greek and Heka from egyptian mythology. but I don't know how I should approach it. Can I like include them as they are, and make it like an open mixed mythology, or like should I make up my own mythology and base the characters on those selected few.
Because I feel that a mixed mythology will be kinda weird.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Jessie137

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Why run before you can walk?
First write three or four stories each touching on any one mythology.
That done, won't the Question have Answered itself?

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Mixing up mythologies is certainly a peculiar idea.
Pros:

People already know the backstory and hierarchy in the characters.
Character profiling is easy.

Cons:

The pros will become cons.
Since there are so many existing ideas on the myths, any minor change will wreak havoc in the Reader's community.
There is not much space for development of your ideas since the boundaries are already set in the mythical beliefs.
Every myth has several backstories and it is necessary to be precarious in which path to choose.
Readers might find a lot of similarities and overlaps in the story with other existing books. It will be like walking on eggshells.

Personally, I believe creating a new universe of Gods, rules, and beliefs will be more satisfactory than mixing.

Pros:

Wider range of characters can be created as your wish.
Joy of creating an Entire Universe that only you are aware of.
New rules, different places, new beliefs, sayings, prophecies, attires, language, and etc.
Loads of area for experimentation.

Cons:

Takes time in ensuring ideas aren't repetitive or offending anyone.
More concentrated details must be placed in setting the scene.

Whichever you choose, all the best!

Load Full (0)