bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: When writing science fiction or horror, how to prevent the villain from becoming less scary as they are fleshed out? I'm trying to write a horror short story about a shape-shifter, but I have - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Different Trope: Hannibal Lecter and Dracula
I think that if you want to have your horror villain become more of a character and less of a stereotype, you need to look to a different kind of horror villain. As your audience moves from being scared of your villain to empathizing with them, the intrinsic horror needs to become less random and more intimate. In short, it needs to move from jumpscare (physical) horror like zombies, to a more mental (psychological) horror of a villain like hannibal Lecter.
No longer is your villain leaping out to eat your hero the emphasis. You come to understand the motives, and even sympathize, with the (serial killer/vampire/werewolf) and see yourself and your own reactions in the situation the villain is in. THAT is screwing with you head, since the villain very predictably is walking into the room to insert a mind control chip into your hero and make him betray everything he loves. Worse comes when he succeeds, and the hero kills his wife and children while aware he's doing it.
That's not to say that there isn't a very real physicality to psychological horror. It's just the scale is often smaller, more personal. Torture, for example, is a much more intimate horror than scenes where aliens keep dragging away people to an unseen but known fate. Knowing you're infested with zombie virus but are responsible for keeping your young child alive is a real mindf**k The scene where Hannibal Lecter (well, okay almost EVERYTHING he did) still screws with my head. The Ring is amazing not because you don't understand the villainess, but because she's utterly relatable as a vengeful ghost, angry at the world.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Connie138

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best