bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to clearly distinguish the settings of different scenes from each other, and make them "feel" different? Background I've been working on doing nitty-gritty editor revisions of my detective novel - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

To make scenes feel different, you have to use a different set of descriptive words.
For a diner, it could fee cozy and quiet, and the first thing they notice is how warm and comfortable the diner is. For the strip club, you paint a picture of flashing lights and loud noises, music pumping through their ears. What your editor is getting at (i believe) is how the main character feels in the setting and how they act in each setting. How do they feel in the strip club? Do they like it or are they uncomfortable? In the diner, does it remind them of their grandmothers baking when they were a child, or does it feel old and dusty?
The main thing you need to ask yourself is this: what does the character see, taste, hear, feel, and smell, and how do they react to those sensory details? The goal of a book is to transport a reader into the story, so adding those details can do that.
I hope that helped.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Yeniel532

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best