bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Not sure how to continue my story I'm writing a story (I think a bit long to post here, but I could if someone would like), which is a metaphor for depression. In the story (from a 3rd - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

You've sort of written yourself into a bit of a trap - having them stay in the room shut away is a great metaphorical expression for the isolation of depression but as you're discovering it doesn't provide you with much happening to actually write about.
Time-skipping past as you would normally a period of inactivity in a story's timeframe would defeat the purpose of having it there in the first place of course.
The logical place to turn is inward if the point is to have the character alone with their depressive thought processes then use those same thoughts to provide you with events to write about - have them ruminate on relevant past events and you can effectively play those events out and have them respond to them. Rumination is frequently associated with depressive episodes so it plays in to your premise rather than detracting from it while still giving you a way to keep the reader engaged, you can also use these to show a progression in their arc towards the climax of your story.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Pope4766717

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best