bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Not sure how to continue my story I'm writing a story (I think a bit long to post here, but I could if someone would like), which is a metaphor for depression. In the story (from a 3rd - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

What to do with infinite time:
You could reverse it - time passes in the room, but not the outside world. The character is stuck in their thoughts and can't make an impact on the world around them. The person from outside wouldn't age - the character would. For what to write about, think "Groundhog Day." (for that matter, you could have the same outside events seemingly repeat over and over for the character if you wanted). That movie is already about people overcoming their own emotional traps that bind them to repeat the same wrong actions over and over. This also makes time in the room like a prison cell. What does a prisoner in a cell do with endless time? Depression is kind of like that.
Or instead of a prisoner, how about a monk? What do monks do with endless time forced into meditation? This leaves you with the internal reality of the main character to examine in depth. Maybe meditation is part of the character's goal in going to the room. It can also be part of the process of realization to eventually leave.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Gretchen741

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best