bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: What are some potential problems you can have if you happen to share similar names with an author? I am a freelance author consultant and have ran into a unique problem. My customer happens - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

As @MarielS , it's not a legal issue, but a customer confusion issue. People will confuse her brand for the famous author's brand constantly - in search results, in bookstores, on covers, etc. They may pick up one of her books expecting it to be the work of that other author, only to be disappointed when they realize it's not who they were expecting.
Imagine if my name was Stephen King. Obviously, if I were to publish a book with my name on the front cover, people would think, "Oh, wow, Stephen King must have a new book out!" But then they discover that I'm actually a small-time science fiction writer, not a horror writer, and they will probably put my book down and feel pretty darn cheated. So I would probably either publish under a shortened name (Stephen K. or S. King, perhaps) or just change it altogether and use a pen name.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Candy753

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best