bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Is writing a light read or "chick lit" a good option for an aspiring literary fiction author? I live in India and here light reads and "chick lit" have made a great impression. The youth - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

I live in India and here light reads and "chick lit" have made a great impression. The youth are picking up such books like petrol on fire. Even non-readers are giving reading these genres a try. Titles like these have helped the publishing industry here to grow more than 100% in the last few years.

Is it a good idea someone who wishes to become a literary fiction writer to write such a book; does it fix his/her genre? Is it going to demean his standing as a literary writer from the readers' point of view? Does he or she come to be characterized as a Light read or "chick lit" writer who cannot write in another genre, especially literary fiction?

Load Full (3)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Ogunnowo420

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

If you write something "lightweight," and then something "heavy" or "serious" afterwards, the readers of your "light" book might give the "serious" one a try sooner than someone who never heard of you, because they like your previous work. So you're establishing a built-in audience. Can't see a downside there.

As far as the critics, it's their job to read the books to review them. If the reviewer can't be arsed to get past your name on the cover because your previous book was Burning But Age-Appropriately Chaste Desire in the Desert, the reviewer should be fired for refusal to work.

Write what you want to write. If it's good, word will get out. Don't worry about being pigeonholed.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

If you're worried about reader perception, use a pseudonym.

But I don't think that one genre is easier than another, which seems to be the assumption behind your question. I think each writer needs to look at his or her own strengths and interests, and work within those. Someone whose preferences and style run to literary fiction will have serious trouble writing a successful Romance, just as someone whose strengths are a good match for Romance will have trouble writing literary fiction.

What are these strengths and weaknesses? Well, I'm not sure--maybe it should be another question on this board! In my experience, Romance requires a strong understanding of characterization and the ability to write simple, clean prose. Romances may have the reputation of being the home of 'purple prose', but I think most modern readers shy away from over-written stories, and prefer more simple, straightforward language. Subgenres within Romance will have their own requirements, of course.

So, if you want to write Chick Lit, write Chick Lit. If you want to write in more than one genre, write in more than one genre, using pseudonyms as necessary. But don't force yourself to write something you're not comfortable with in the interest of increasing sales; readers of all genres want well-written work by someone who's an expert in the genre.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

You think too much. If you want to be a writer, you should write instead.

No, seriously, this thinking (and the resulting "decisions") will take you nowhere. If you read lots of chick lit and you like it, then write chick lit. If you read lots of literary fiction and you like it, write it. If you disgust chick lit, then avoid that genre. The readers will find out. Because they are not stupid. Which takes me to my next point.

Do you think your readers are stupid? Why should they "demean" you, because you write in different genres? If they really did, you would not want them as readers. Skip that thought, it's totally useless.

If you like both genres, write in both genres. But if you think, there is an easy genre (like chick lit), where you can make easy money, and there is this other reputable genre (like literary fiction) where you can show the world how great you are, then you are a snob and an idiot. So I really hope, you do not think that. Because there is no easy genre, there is no easy money. Everyone thinking that should stop writing immediately or never start at all.

Load Full (0)