bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do I involve my audience with my story? I am writing for a video game, and I have noticed that there is a gap between plot and gameplay. Most times there is a plot to a story, but - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

The short answer: give the user a chance to affect the outcome of the story (or at least give them the impression that they have this power).

It depends a lot of the game genre. I wrote my master's thesis on immersion in computer games, and gave an analysis of Knights of the Old Republic (an excellent game with a great story by the way). Therein I found some evidence that giving people the option to choose within constraints, will give the player a deeper involvement in the story, but at the same time let you craft a story that is somewhat coherent.

This was a RPG, which is probably the most suited genre for conveying rich stories that involves the user.

Games like Starcraft (both I and II), also have a great story, but I don't feel involved in the story while actually playing. I never get the feeling that I am Raynor" running around in the battlefield. The game keeps me immersed because of damn good gameplay, and the cutscenes keeps me in because of a great story and good animations, but I never feel that my actions brings the story forward, other than that they "unlock" the next scene.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Hamm6328258

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best