bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Is it acceptable for a tech book to consist of only 2 chapters? I am interested in writing a book on a particular class of natural products. It would discuss the products' isolation and biological - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

I am interested in writing a book on a particular class of natural products. It would discuss the products' isolation and biological functions - these are the two chapters that I can fit into the book.

So my proposed book would only have 2 chapters, which may run to about 75-100 pages each. This intuitively seems like a very low number of chapters for a book, even though that's simply the number of topics I want to cover.

Are tech books with so few chapters publishable? Is this something seen frequently?

Load Full (3)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Holmes449

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I'd say any number of chapters more than one is "legal", but two is an awfully small number. If I was in this situation, my inclination would be to break the book into "Part 1" and "Part 2" and then divide each of these parts into multiple chapters.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules on how many chapters a book should or shouldn't have. If you feel the book you want to write naturally and logically falls into two chapters, go with it.

However, and this seems to be a recurring theme on this particular Stack Exchange, you may want to approach this from a completely different direction. Have you thought about how your likely 'target market audience' may want to see the book structured for maximum and ease of information retrieval? Would they see a two chapter book as being a logical and natural way to read about your subject matter?

Sometimes you have to look at things from an alternative perspective in order to work out the correct route forwards.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

With the disclaimer that I'm neither a tech writer or tech editor:

Scientific and academic books are generally organized by function. Unlike a narrative book where the chapters are broken down by feel or by narrative rhythm, a scientific or academic book has a certain amount of material to cover, and it makes logical sense to divide the book according to those functional guidelines. In this case you have two functional areas: Isolation of natural products, and biological function of natural products.

However, I understand your hesitation. Having only two chapters does feel a little strange.

Will those two chapters subdivide in any way? Is there any structure within these two chapters? If so, perhaps you can divide the book into two parts instead, and subdivide the parts into chapters. Just take care not to have insanely short "chapters" or you risk making the book seem fragmented.

I'd also check MLA or APA (or whatever style guide you're using) for advice about chapterization. I know that the Chicago Manual of Style addresses these issues, perhaps these academically-oriented style manuals do as well.

Load Full (0)