bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : What are good examples of backstory in natural dialogue? Does anyone have good examples from modern day fiction where backstory is given to the reader in a "good" way? I'm trying to get a - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

Does anyone have good examples from modern day fiction where backstory is given to the reader in a "good" way? I'm trying to get a feel for what sounds natural in writing. In real life there are lots of interruptions, organic conversation. I understand that but in fiction that has to be tailored somewhat. So, I'm looking for good examples of how information given in dialogue should be done.

Thanks.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Holmes449

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

There is a concept called Exposition as Ammunition that is a pretty standard approach for presenting character background. The idea is that if two character's are arguing, background facts can be hidden with the conflict. This works because exposition (such as a character's backstory) is inherently undramatic, while an argument containing some background facts is more demonstrative of the backstory.

I answered a question about Exposition as Ammunition a while back: What does "Exposition and Ammunition – back story" mean in screenwriting?

Load Full (0)