bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Am I correctly referencing chapters which belong to the same book? Looking for some help on how to reference chapters in a book inside of a booking I'm helping with. Should I be capitalizing - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

Looking for some help on how to reference chapters in a book inside of a booking I'm helping with.

Should I be capitalizing Chapters 3 and 4 and would referring to chapters simply by capitalized title be the correct way to do so?

For those who are new to programming, I strongly suggest reading
through Chapters 3 and 4 thoroughly before continuing with the rest of
this resource as they contain all of the core concepts needed in order
to understand some of the higher level concepts presented in Data
Structures and Algorithms.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Bryan361

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

In Chicago style, "chapter" is lowercased, even if it is used as a title. (An example from the Chicago Manual of Style Q&A page: www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/CMS_FAQ/Capitalization/Capitalization10.html)
APA style also suggests lowercasing "chapter."

The Mayfield Handbook of Technical & Scientific Writing, on the other hand, recommends capitalizing "references to specific figures, tables, chapters, sections, equations."

So, in short, it varies between different style guides. If the book you're working on isn't following a particular style guide, then it's up to your or the author's preference, as long as you're consistent. (I'd recommend making a note of decisions like this on a style sheet for the book--which could be as simple as a list in a Word document. That can help keep things consistent.)

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

That's how I'd do it. I'd capitalize it even if I were referring to someone else's book:

For those who are new to programming, I strongly suggest reading through Chapters 3 and 4. For those who are more advanced but need to brush up on databases, I suggest Robert Foo's How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Relational Databases, Chapters 4 and 7.

Load Full (0)