bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to get over writer's block related to revising? I'm a PhD Student in the social sciences. When I do focused free-writing on a topic, my thoughts just fly out and I can easily generate - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I think your problem is procrastination, given that revising is no fun (imho).

Set a timer for 20 or 30 minutes. Promise yourself to work fully concentrated for those minutes. No e-mail, surfing or whatever you distraction poison is.

When the minutes are over, take a break. Get a coffe, play a round of Starcraft, do something fun.

After a while, start over again. I usually do 20 minutes work 20 minutes fun.

"But you're wasting half your time!" No, i get something done for half of the time, instead of procrastinating it all away.

But the best part is that your subconsciousness keeps on working while you are on a break, so if you got stuck at the end of the work session, you'll be surprised at how often your brain has found a solution in the meantime.

And don't focus on the end of the large task. Focus on the next step (easier said than done, I know).

Another good tip is to read Ken Rands The 10% solution. It is a mechanic editing technique that gets a lot of nasty language problems out of the way.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Hamm6328258

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best