bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Very simple markup language for writing fiction I'm using a plain text editor (Vim) to write a fiction piece (chapter book), and I'm wondering what markup languages others use for such a task? - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I think you want MultiMarkdown. It has built-in support for **bold**, _italics_, and footnotes (footnote syntax: [^footnote]). It's similarly easy to specify headers with #, and it can publish directly to LaTeX.

Best of all, it's extremely easy to incorporate without getting distracted. I write MultiMarkdown blog posts full of footnotes and links from my iPhone; I've even composed whole MMD tables on the Metro for my RPG projects.

MultiMarkdown is especially great if you're a Mac user; there's tons of great software to support it like Marked to preview your output; Scrivener to organize larger projects; and Sublime Text 2 + Markdown Editing for Sublime Text 2. None of that is really necessary, though: A plaintext editor and the command line can do everything, if you roll that way.

It doesn't support underlines, unfortunately. I've yet to find a simple markup language that does.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kaufman555

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best