bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Does using version control system make backups unnecessary? Suppose I use Git, Subversion or any other version control system for managing my writing. So my texts are preserved together with change - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

You still need backups. Version control and backups are orthogonal concepts and should be used together, one is not a replacement for another.

Yes, version control will persist the change history in the repository, but the repository itself is not protected just as any computer file is not protected. If the drive where the repository is stored dies the repository contents gets inaccessible. If the filetree comprising the repository is corrupted due to a software bug, malicious software, or user error the data stored there is corrupted or lost. If you use a third-party service for hosting your repository that service may undergo some problems that will lead to your repository data being lost.

To prevent data loss in such scenarios you need backup of your repository. Don't confuse the two concepts.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Bethany377

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best