bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Where is a good place to find writing prompts? I love using writing prompts to come up with story ideas. I'm looking for good sites that have a lot of good writing prompts. One that updates - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Instead of finding a source of explicit and structured prompts, I opt to look for randomized inspiration. Every day or two, I do the following:

www.flickr.com/explore - I browse until I find 3-5 images that strike a chord of interest in me (for any reason). live.lmgtfy.com/ - I watch these live search terms with a text editor open and simply choose 5-10 individual words that pop up (again, whatever grabs me that day), writing them down.

Almost without fail, when I smash the words up against the images, I get struck with a nugget of a "wouldn't that be interesting..." kind of idea, then I write anywhere from 200-500 words on the topic. These short exercises are always brief and not well fleshed out, and they are often terrible. I write until the core of the idea is laid out, then I stop and file them into a folder with all the rest.

But the point isn't to get a winner every time, the point is that much later, when I'm ready to begin writing a new story, I don't need to go looking for prompts or ideas... I have a collection of dozens (or more) ideas that I've already had. All I have to do is browse through them and I always find at least a few that inspire me to explore them further.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Merenda569

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best