bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: think, I think, I don't think I use "think", "I think" and "I don't think" in my writing a lot. Can you suggest a few ways to reduce it and few alternative ways of saying the same thing? - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

In many cases, "I think"/"you think" can be removed. In some cases, such can be replaced with "believe", "know", "am convinced", or the like when seeking to communicate personal sentiment, involvement, or expertise (i.e., when "I think" would be meaningful but not quite fitting).

If there is a desire to communicate uncertainty, one can use "seems", "appears", or similar words. Likewise, "indicates" or "hints" can be used along with specific evidence to communicate a reasoned but not absolutely proven opinion.

In other cases, more extensive rephrasing can be used.

The following examples may help (X is a placeholder for evidence, [] contain an alternative word or phrase):

Why do you think about that?

Why are you [obsessed with][fond of] concerned about that?
Are you an enthusiast about that? (an indirect approach which may provide an answer with the desired information)
Does that have some special meaning to you?
That must be important to you. (such a statement of observation can encourage the other to reveal personal matters to a person who cares enough to pay attention and affirms the validity of feelings)
That is not important to me. (sometimes statements of contradiction spur others to explain their beliefs or behavior)
What is so [interesting] important about that?
Why does that get your attention?

I think you can do it.

You can do it.
I [know] believe you can do it.
X indicates you can do it.
X, so you should be able to do it.
X; you can do it.

But I think you got to take some rest.

But you need to take a break.
But I suggest you get some rest.
But X and you need to get some rest. (e.g., X could be "you've been at this seven straight hours" or "the exam is tomorrow")
But you look like you need some rest.
But X says you need to get some rest. (e.g., X could be "that yawn" or "that basket of wadded up paper")

Do you think you can break that?

Can you break that?
Isn't that too tough for you to break?
That seems too tough for you to break.
Does that seem too tough for someone to break? (an indirect approach which, because people tend to relate to their own abilities and experiences, is likely to elicit the desired information)

I don't think so.

That's impossible.
That seems unlikely.
No, X proves that cannot be the case.
X seems to contradict that.
X contradicts that.
Are you sure?
How is that possible?
I believe [that is not the case] you are mistaken.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Turnbaugh521

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best