logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : What are these extra phrases added to the beginning of sentences called? I find that my students are using a lot of these phrases at the beginning of their sentences: First... First of all...

Miguel976 @Miguel976

Posted in: #Terminology

I find that my students are using a lot of these phrases at the beginning of their sentences:

First...
First of all...
To begin with...
All in all...
The other reason is that...
Above all...
At last but not least...
Taking all the reasons and examples into consideration...
In a word...

Do these phrases have a common name?

Is there a special term for such phrases when they do not add any meaning to the sentence they are added to?

10.04% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (4) Report

4 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Hamm6328258

Hamm6328258 @Hamm6328258

I'm not sure they really have an established, generally accepted name, but I would suggest it would be simplest to call them introductory phrases.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Phylliss352

Phylliss352 @Phylliss352

Although I like @Dale Emery's "metadiscourse". See
learningnerd.wordpress.com/2006/09/06/english-grammar-types-of-phrases/
for the names of common type of phrases.

If you spend a lot of time talking about what you're talking about or introducing and qualifying statements instead of just saying them, it makes them more complex and tends to be distracting or annoying if it doesn't actively contribute to understanding the rest of the sentence.

Phrases like this can be beneficial if you need to frame a concept in a particular context before stating it - instead of putting the context at the end of the sentence.

In fiction writing, prepositional phrases can be used to set the tone.

Prepositional phrases can be used to set tone in fiction writing.

The first way just sounds better to me.

The problem is that additional phrases like these make the reader save up their contents and then apply them to the rest of the sentence. It makes them think more. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Debbie451

Debbie451 @Debbie451

I would see these as transitions, bits which help move the reader smoothly from one thought (spread over one or several paragraphs) to the next.

I think presenting it that way will give your students a clear reason whether to use this literary tool:

Am I introducing a new thought?
Am I wrapping up the previous thought?

If not, then remove the phrase.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Kevin153

Kevin153 @Kevin153

The term is metadiscourse, or communication about the communication. Sometimes they help guide the reader through a complex line of reasoning. Sometimes they add emphasis or rhythm. Sometimes they're just noise.

"Use them liberally" (from your other post) seems like coarse advice, perhaps useful until students can distinguish for themselves whether the text requires such orientation, or until they can write the text so that less orientation is necessary.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme