bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is there a known technique for giving your readers chills? Some of my favorite stories send shivers through my body every time I reread them. For example, "Bullet in the Brain" by - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

An excellently executed Hidden in Plain Sight (warning: TVTropes link!) is a surefire trigger.
Specifically: A deeply disturbing, truly scary thing which was the proverbial elephant in the room, executed well enough that the reader failed to notice it despite obvious hints. It was a menace capable of striking at any moment, stabbing our exposed backs from the middle while we stood in a circle looking outside for the danger. Maybe it did strike unnoticed a few times already, and we always boggled who or what caused it while the murderer was standing right next to the victim. It loomed at all times, feeling creepy but forgotten as a mood-building background element. Only when we reach a resolution, when we lost our primary defenses and stand exposed, vulnerable and desperate, learning long-overdue secrets, our cocky approach long snuffed, us doing our homework of research diligently, at last, we read the page that identifies our menace, and we realize it reads it over our shoulder with us, as it kept doing for past half an hour.
This is the moment that sends a deep cold shiver down any reader's spine.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Deb2945533

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best