bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How can I make a person sound sick? How do you distort words into sounding sick, as in with the cold? I want it to be a really comical scene, but I'm not sure how to write it. Do I replace - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

How do you distort words into sounding sick, as in with the cold? I want it to be a really comical scene, but I'm not sure how to write it. Do I replace some letters with others or remove certain consonants?

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Yeniel532

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Messed-up speech is usually funnier on TV/stage/screen than in writing, because (#1) it's hard to figure out what the person is saying, and (#2) the comic effect depends on the readers' skill at rendering messed-up words (either out loud or in their heads). But, if you want to try it, give yourself the affliction the character has, say his/her lines, and write down phonetically what you say. Literally stuff your nose with something for a stuffy nose. Prop your mouth open with a carrot for a broken jaw. Grab and hold half your face for a paralysis (which better be temporary, or your dialogue will NOT be funny).

So, I would go light on the distorted speech. Probably it would be funnier if the sick character were a bit loopy, either because of the sickness or the meds. Then you can have lots of inanity, non-sequiturs, inappropriate sharing, emoting, melodrama, etc. People who think/insist they're dying when they're obviously merely sick are a staple of comedy.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Find a recording device.
Press record.
Hold your nose tightly.
Speak your dialogue. Add coughing, wheezing, and other effects as appropriate.
Press stop.
Press play.
Transcribe.

Load Full (0)