bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How similar is too similar? I have used the phrase: "There are not enough words in the tongues of men, elves, dwarves, trolls, goblins, or beasts to describe how disgusting..." in a couple - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

I have used the phrase:

"There are not enough words in the tongues of men, elves, dwarves, trolls, goblins, or beasts to describe how disgusting..."

in a couple of reviews of mine, which someone has pointed out is very similar to this:

"There is no curse in Elvish, Entish, or the tongues of men for this treachery." by Treebeard from Lord of the Rings

While the meaning of the sentence and the sentence structure are similar, they only share one or two words. Is this plagiarism, or just two similar sentences?

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Caterina108

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I'm hoping those weren't restaurant reviews!

Also, IMHO, your phrase is a nod to Tolkien, a literary allusion. That is not plagiarism, any more than it would be plagiarism to say at the end of a review of a robotics show, "Next year, for sure, I'll be back."

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I think it's the "tongues" which caught everyone's eye. That faux high English hearkens back to Tolkien's diction, which makes people recall his version.

Change it up. Rearrange the order and add a little hyperbole:

In all the dialects of all the languages of all the cultures of men, elves, dwarves, trolls, goblins, or beasts, there are not enough words to describe how disgusting...

Load Full (0)