bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Can i use the name of a real UK Prime Minister in a fictional Novel? I am writing a fictional novel that rewrites history surrounding the Gulf war. It involves at one point the actions of - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

I am writing a fictional novel that rewrites history surrounding the Gulf war. It involves at one point the actions of the english Prime Minister at the time. In the novel he takes us to war with Iraq under false pretences (some would say that was the case anyway) however my explanation as to why he invades Iraq is different from the accepted reasons, and some might consider it to be unjustified. Am I on dodgy ground here? Could I be done for libelling the PM? Can i mention his name, and if not, will changing his name take away from the realism of the novel? Or should I just not mention his name even though everyone will know who I am talking about.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Caterina108

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I agree with what others have said, both here and in the above-referenced question (which I reproduce here: writers.stackexchange.com/q/9215/1993). To wit (always wanted to say that), change the person. In your specific case, start your novel with Tony Blair losing the election. Instead, the PM is Snidely Beckinsworth. You can then make Snidely whatever you want -- egotistic, money-grubbing, cowardly, sadistic, stupid, war-mongering, etc. -- and nobody can complain. Snidely is your stand-in for Tony (with cosmetic details changed), but you are covered because your novel already makes clear that Snidely is not Tony. I suppose Mr. Blair could still try to sue for libel, but then he'd have to prove that, despite the internal evidence of your novel, your unflattering PM is obviously him. (But that's self-defeating. If it's obviously him, then it isn't libel.) The free publicity from such a lawsuit would easily pay for a five-quid barrister. Just don't make Snidely exactly like Tony, except that he's a lying jerk, because that WOULD get you into trouble.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I am writing a fictional novel that rewrites history surrounding the Gulf war ... Could I be done for libelling the PM?

Possibly. The laws about slander and libel vary widely from nation to nation, and a fig leaf of "it's fictional" would probably not be enough in and of itself to survive a challenge.

You're better off making a thinly veiled analog with a different name and significantly different characteristics, especially if your novel's PM is at all villainous in any way. If omitting all personally identifiable details can be done, that may also suffice.

Also, in addition to a possible claim of libel, be aware that you might be hit with trademark or privacy laws as well. Make a novelization about a news story of some living person's heroics, and you may be presented with a bill for using their likeness.

In general, you shouldn't worry too much about legal affairs (aside from copyright) when writing. Once you have a completed work and want to move into publishing is the time you'll want to worry about what changes may be necessary to comply with libel, trademark, or privacy laws.

Load Full (0)