bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Do publishers use LaTeX to produce books for the blind? What software tools do publishers use to produce books for the blind, i.e. containing embossed Braille? Is LaTeX one of them? There is - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I've seen this up for quite a while now and will take a stab at answering your question. However, the answer is much more complicated than the question.

The simple answer is yes, Python is used to convert text to braille tags, and a LaTex package is used to print out the symbols. IF the brailler you are using is not designed for use with a proprietary package. I think Bookmaker and Express machines come with open ports.

As a GNU/Linux user myself, I find it hard to find open source drivers for most hardware. So I have a lot of boat anchors sitting around here.

Now for the complicated answer, simplified.

What do Publishers use?

The Duxbury Braille Translator for Windoze is fairly universal among publishers. It can drive a Thermoform machine, most Embossers, as well as the top plate embossing machines, such as the ET PED-30.
It also works perfectly with the ET BraillePlace double-sided embossing for making books.

If you are interested in producing books, the lowest cost commercial grade double-sided Brailler I am aware of is the ET Bookmaker.

For the final part of your question about interest in software.
I would say no, because of the proprietary nature of the hardware.
As you are well aware, even SANE cannot obtain enough information from manufacturers to create drivers for most of the scanners, printers, and other hardware available. Most of the manufacturers are in bed with Mickey$oft and could care less about the rest of the world.

VTY
Dutch

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Moriarity138

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best