bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is it possible to write entirely abstract fiction? I've always wanted to write fiction, but I've been afraid I'd sooner or later be limited by my lack of exposure to the world (or having any - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

It looks like what you have written in your example is an outline, not a story. I think it's perfectly possible to go through and write an outline in the manner you have described, but the primary story-writing work will take place when you go through and fill in all the blanks you left when creating the outline.

I empathize with your dilemma, but it's important to realize that you do eventually need to fill in the details. It sounds like you do have all the "brick" you need to start writing a story- your story will just be driven by the characters, not by the world they inhabit. You'll make good, realistic characters that cope with their world and their problems in ways the readers can connect to. You do, however, need to come up with some problems that they need to cope with - all of which can be character-driven.

I don't know anything about the writing processes of authors, but I do believe that you can learn to write by reading. Here are some books you can read that are primarily character-driven:

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green, where the main action and problems revolve almost entirely around a single character. (Many of John Green's other works are also character-driven, including Paper Towns. I did not include The Fault in Our Stars because the primary problem those characters face is external, namely their cancer, although it does feature excellent characterization.)
Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare, which is a romantic comedy. Most romances are, of necessity, character-driven.
Bridge to Terebithia by Katherine Paterson. Although it includes a magical forest, it is an escape dreamed up by the main characters involved.
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett, for a story where the setting is important, but it would be meaningless without the powerful characterization.

These books have plots that revolve around the character's problems and what they do about them. The setting in these books is not as important, and there are no magical effects or otherwise external situations that impact the character's behavior. These books are all about people.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Bethany377

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best