bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Where can I find a good online thesaurus? Usually I just use the synonym suggestions at dictionary.com (or its tie-in site thesaurus.com) but it's pretty lame. Most of the synonyms it suggests - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

Usually I just use the synonym suggestions at dictionary.com (or its tie-in site thesaurus.com) but it's pretty lame. Most of the synonyms it suggests are basic and well-known words I already know. In the interest of writing novels, for instance, sometimes it's nice to be able to sprinkle in those more rarely used words to make the writing a little more artful, so to speak.

To that end, what's a good online thesaurus that might be able to help me expand my vocabulary or find words I might not normally think of?

Load Full (3)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Reiling826

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Have a look at Power Thesaurus - www.powerthesaurus.org.

It's very extensive!
The site has simple, easy-to-use layout with low ad-count.
The synonyms are sorted by rating and you can vote as well (and add you own terms as well).
The lists can be filtered by topics (the filters are on the right).
And there are antonyms and other word relations.

Please note that it doesn't have definitions of the words, but rather focuses on related words.

The result - you become very efficient in your writing when you use it ;)

Note. Our team is working on this website, so feel free to contact me for any questions related to Power Thesaurus.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

www.wordnik.com seems to be the best online thesaurus, though one is presented with such a hailstorm of synonyms and near-synonyms and synonyms from divergent disciplines it can be rather overwhelming.

I've used it for several years, but recently found a thesaurus called "Artha" that sits on the desktop and is spectacularly well-designed. It's easy to find (just google "Artha thesaurus") and there are many places to download it from. I use it on Linux; hopefully it's available for other OS's.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I personally prefer a physical thesaurus for research... there's just a feel to it when crawling through topical sections I have not found online -- searching for a word online is just not the same as trolling through the sections and getting led along.

The 1911 version of Roget's Thesaurus is online and searchable. Being 100+ years old now, it could serve to provide the words you don't already know. I'd, of course, be careful about using antiquated words more likely to cause confusion than provide clariy.

Load Full (0)