bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Resource for idioms I'm not a native English speaker and I have a hard time finding good words sometimes. Sometimes I feel like there should be an idiom for the thing I want to say, but - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

I'm not a native English speaker and I have a hard time finding good words sometimes. Sometimes I feel like there should be an idiom for the thing I want to say, but cannot remember it correctly. For example, the case I'm struggling with currently is that I want to express a van door opening abruptly. I think maybe:

The van door busted open

or

The van door blasted open

But none of those feel right. So I have two questions:

Is there some resource on the Internet (or a computer program) where I could type "door opening abruptly" and get the related idioms if they exist
Any suggestions on the door dilemma above?

Thanks.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Vandalay250

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I see your problem. This is something that I run into all the time.
When you can't figure out the right word.
just use a free online dictionary and go through the synonym list for the word you decided doesn't sound right.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Idiom is defined as: an expression whose meaning is not predictable from the usual meanings of its constituent elements, as in "kick the bucket";;
OR -- a construction or expression of one language whose parts correspond to elements in another language but whose total structure or meaning is not matched in the same way in the second language.

Not sure if given your example ("door opening abruptly"), that it falls into the definition of idiom. (Note: might you be looking for some kind of "similar phrase" resource? that would be different.) Doing a quick search for idiom resources provides quite a few results. Here are a couple of links you can check out:
www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/ http://www.idiomreference.com/

Load Full (0)