bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Writing an Ending: how to prune away the Wrong ones? My protagonist introduced herself to me through a sequence of set-pieces. She has a very specific altruistic goal, and the conflicts she - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

My protagonist introduced herself to me through a sequence of set-pieces. She has a very specific altruistic goal, and the conflicts she enters are with other characters who have well-defined agendas. The arc of the plot is established... except for the last act.

I have tried letting the characters speak to me (and they do). But they say too many things. There are too many equally interesting choices that they might make, too many good branches the plot might follow. My problem is how to prune this tree.

I am working very hard to stay away from any reverse McGuffins, or similar devices. I don't need a device, I need a process.

Your answers might tell me about:

any process you might follow to (systematically?) map-out and evaluate the possibilities;
any way you find works best to change your point of view, as the author, of the characters and events in your story, and thus discover a previously unseen branch to explore;
any way that I should try interrogating the characters to find out if the choices they are revealing to me are genuine.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Vandalay250

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Your question seems to be primarily about how to integrate plot and characterization. This is an issue I've been working hard on in my recent writing, so I'm going to make an unearthly effort to keep this answer short and to the point.

My writing philosophy is this: every character is a question that needs answering. Every character starts the story with a gap or wound in their lives, that needs filling or healing. Your job as a writer is to make that gap or wound a central part of your narrative. It doesn't necessarily need to be the central axis of the plot. If your character is an orphan who feels like they have no place in the world, they might defeat an evil dragon and then find out that they are the long-lost heirs to the kingdom. And that ending might look cheap to you, but it's satisfying to the reader.

So ask yourself, for each of your characters, what is the question that drives them? Common types of questions: Who am I? Where do I belong? How can I be the best? Characters may not know what their question is, and then it's your role as writer to give them an ending of what they need as opposed to what they want. Example: Disney's The Princess and the Frog has an entire song about this very subject.

In conclusion: to find your plot's most satisfying conclusion, find the question that your protagonist most needs to answer.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

For a moment abandon the crew of your story and have a peek at your readers.

Well, before that prune endings that are too expectable, out of characters or otherwise faulty, but once you come with the decent set...

Which ending would be most satisfying? Which would elicit most of the emotions which you want to create? Instead of thinking within the story world, you just construct a satisfactory product.

It's the cheap approach, but one that works well.

Load Full (0)