bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is CreateSpace 100% free for self-publishing? I looked all over CreateSpace, but cannot find anything to tell me if the service is 100% free to use. I wonder if there are hidden costs. I read - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Dale Emery did an excellent job explaining all the different costs associated with using CreateSpace, but the bottom line is that you as the author do not have to incur any cost up front.

I wanted to point out a couple of other factors that you need to take into consideration, however. First of all, don't assume that you can just convert a Word document to a PDF document and upload it and that is all you have to do. The PDF document you use will need to be formatted for whatever size you choose for the actual book. If your PDF is in 8x10 and your book is going to be 4x6, then you'll have a problem. There are a lot of other factors to consider when you format your document, so make sure you address them. If you aren't comfortable with doing the formatting yourself, then you may have to pay someone to do it for you, so that is an upfront cost that is not directly associated with CreateSpace.

You will also need an image to use as your book cover. This can either be an image you provide, or you can use their cover creator, which will generate a generic cover for you. The problem with their creator is that their options are limited, so there is a good chance somebody else will end up with a cover very similar to yours. If you want to hire someone to create a cover image for you, that is another upfront cost.

Lastly, just because you create a print on demand book with CreateSpace doesn't mean that there will be a Kindle version immediately available. You have to go through a completely different process to create a Kindle version, and that file will require a different format as well. If you don't know how to create that format, then you may have another cost associated with creating the e-book.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Murray165

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best