bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Revising a manuscript and resubmitting to same publisher? I have 7 publishing houses currently evaluating my manuscript for possible publication. Some houses have already read a few chapters and - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I had a similar experience over thirty years ago, but it didn't result in a publishing contract. My manuscript was being reviewed by five publishing houses, and the first to reply was a rejection. However, they had some very nice things to say about it and suggested that it was just too long and had too many characters. They recommended that I rewrite it and send it back, so I immediately began working on cutting it down even before I heard back from the other publishers. The manuscript was ultimately rejected by the other four publishers as well, but I continued with the rewrite.

Once I was nearly done with the revisions, I sent out new sample chapters and a synopsis to the same publishers as well as a few others, and this time I had seven publishers willing to look at the completed manuscript. The same publisher who had suggested the rewrite was again the first to reply, and once again they recommended that I reduce the length. This time I decided to wait for the others to respond. In time, all the other publishers ended up rejecting it as well.

At that point I had to decide whether or not I wanted to go through the anguish of trying to make more cuts without having any clear commitment from the publisher or even a clear understanding of what they were looking for. I decided that I just didn't have the desire to do that, so the manuscript sat in my closet for the next twenty-five years. That's when I decided to make a few changes to it and publish it myself. Since then, I've sold about 5000 copies of that book, which isn't great, but I haven't done a lot to promote it either.

Realistically, the publisher isn't going to invest much, if any, time or effort in helping you refine your work. I think at this point, you have to decide what is best for you. Are you willing to take a chance and start making those changes, even though there are no guarantees that they will result in a contract? Another option would be to start looking for an agent to help you. Since you already have some publishing houses showing an interest in your work, an agent might be willing to invest some time and effort in helping you refine the work, even though a publisher won't. If neither of those options works out for you, then maybe it's time to start looking at self-publishing.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Turnbaugh521

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best