bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Anyone has any super intense software for plot outlining? Now, at the get go, I fully acknowledge that I have gone way over the top as far a story plotting goes, but I'm trying for something - selfpublishingguru.com

10.06% popularity

Now, at the get go, I fully acknowledge that I have gone way over the top as far a story plotting goes, but I'm trying for something on the extreme end of epic and I have a legit obsessive compulsive personality problem so at this point it cannot be helped.

I'm potentially dealing with an ASOIAF-style number of characters and POVS, some with synchronous timelines. Plot overlaps, plot loops, plot loopholes and blackholes even. I started it out as a screenwriting project and it has sprawled into and epic fantasy type thing that might take maybe 8-10 books to finish.

I started plot outlining chapter by chapter in ms word, then I went over to OneNote to get that kinda whiteboard effect, then it just sorta ballooned out of control.

What I'm looking for:

A program that essentially operates functionally like a SmartDraw type flowchart,
but acts like a fluid Mindmap (iMindMap) in the way that I can pull pieces
around, having them stay connected by an arrow wherever I drag (a variety of connectors
would be nice). The ability to drag around and freely visually
organise it while maintaining the connection would be nice. It
would be beyond excellent to be able to converge several different POV plots and diverge them again.
A way to synchronize multiple timelines for several characters. Some
of these characters have timelines that run for a thousand years, and
some of these immortal characters can slide through time and change
things so this is where there is the Terminator-style time pretzel
effect. And interspersed with all this, are some characters who have
very meaningful but very short timelines. I need someway for them all
to fall together kinda like a gantt chart.
An index card/corkboard display option like in Scrivenir would be
nice.
A way to organise all of this into chapters and books.

Does this software exist?

Load Full (5)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Turnbaugh521

5 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Here is an app that tries to make plotting out your story very easy: Plottr

It's got a timeline that is a very graphical way to show each story line (main plot and subplots) and each scene. Across the top are the scenes and along the side are the story lines.

Where the scene and story line intersect you can add a card which is just a place you can write a description about what happens at the intersection of those two.

You can even drag and drop cards easily anywhere around the timeline.

It also has a place for general notes, a place for characters, and a place for settings. For characters and settings you can add custom attributes which is really handy.

And the notes you can tag with your characters or places.

It's not meant for writing your stories, and there is nothing for transferring your notes to a writing app, but I use it for my stories and it's been invaluable

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

EDIT (16 Oct 2017): A lot has changed in the last 3 years. Plotist now offers worldbuilding and writing tools, including a timeline and an outliner to help organize the writing, and it supports real-time collaboration so you can work with others creating your world and stories. We now offer Plotist as a subscription service, but we still have a free membership with limited features. Below is the original response for reference.

Plotist is not exactly what you are looking for, but it's worth having a look. It's a timeline application aimed at writers, where you can create your notes about characters and locations and use them to create a timeline.

I'm the main developer and it's currently under development, but we are already sending invitations to try it.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

By no means is it super intense, but Scapple is a very streamlined graphing/charting/mind mapping application. IMO faster to use than anything similar. As a bonus it's by the developers of Scrivener so there's some compatibility there.
www.literatureandlatte.com/scapple.php

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

You might also want to have a look at New Novelist (http://www.newnovelist.com/).

The software is set up to help you separate locations, characters etc. and also to pace your story according to the type of story it is.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Others on this site have recommended Scrivener, and after looking over the features it might be what you are looking for. I am certainly going to purchase it for myself... as soon as I can(poor writer is poor).

Load Full (0)