bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How to show that a character is quoting from a book? I am editing a text in which the characters use quotations from the Bible quite often. Example: Jeremiah turned toward him, "Therefore, - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I am editing a text in which the characters use quotations from the Bible quite often.

Example:
Jeremiah turned toward him, "Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice..."

All he says is a quote from Romans:12. How do I show that he is quoting and these are not the character's words? Do I add single quotation marks around the entire quote? It looks weird, to say the least:

"'Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice...'"

I hope somebody can help. Thank you!

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Correia211

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Sorry, but a summary of the others' answers is: You don't.

You may cite your source, but it's up to your readers to know you're quoting, although the best way to make them realize he/she is quoting certain literature or media is to develop him/her to seem the kind of person who would quote it.

Load Full (0)