bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Creating An Original World I've been thinking of a few ideas for characters and concepts, and I am aiming to create a massive world: a world with its own deep history and rich lore. However, - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

i am new to this so treat me kindly-
the things that you need to worry about, are three factors to gain originality according to me:

magic/tech/maybe both: have something new and interesting- something that people are willing and eager to read more about and understand this new system that you are bringing alive. in case of tech, just because the tech is the same(because you cannot bring something new just because you want it to be new- if we dont have a machine that makes your waste edible, it is because doing so is not feacible and because it is disgusting!) you can still make it interesting by giving it new names and different history about how it comes about(the best example i can think about is wheel of time- where they bring in cannons and and are called dragons- and mentions are made to something called shock lance- which i think is a gun.
history- most stories have conflict in it. and having a history behind the conflict that the readers can sympathize with and understand is always good. getting the reader invested in the quest of the protagonist because he/she wants that side to win and not because they want the hero to win is also good.
social structure and the power structure. and reason for conflict. we have too many discrimination based on such and such or heir of important family wrongfully overthrown coming back to claim his "rightful" whatever. something original in both the social structure and a reason for the conflict/drama/whatever taking place in the story would be good

that said,characters that react logically, more than originally is more important though. And dont be too worried about cliches. while throwing in too many is bad(and some cliches are bad. full stop.), you have to remember, a cliche is something that many people use/find. and that is because people like it and it is more logical.

and i would like to reiterate something mentioned by someone else here:
in-depth information is the best way to bring massive originality into the book- but beware of overdoing it- dropping a big lump into the readers lump will bore them too much. slowly unraveling the information will keep the readers hanging wanting to understand more about the world that they are reading.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Hamaas631

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best