bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to make distinguishing characters who have almost the exact same traits? I have a problem. I have 2 main characters, A and B, who have pretty much the exact same personality traits. The - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Well, it's not purely historical fiction, if it's also science fiction. And even in historical fiction, the word "fiction" has a role to play in the final result.

I'd say you probably want to focus on the role these characters are playing not in history, but in your book. If they are truly indistinguishable - they have the same opinions, same knowledge, same resources, etc - then I think you might want to look for ways to combine them into one character and simplify things. But likely they aren't quite that identical.

So, in your book, maybe there's a back and forth between them - the political leader expresses a need, the engineer finds a way to address the need through technology, the leader critiques, the engineer refines - whatever. The point is that they're distinguished through their actions, not their character sketches.

Not every single character in a book has to be a completely distinct personality at the planning stages. They'll become distinct as you give them things to do.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Hamaas631

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best