bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Constructed Language - how to spell words that will be mispronounced in English I wasn't sure how to phrase the title, so it may be a bit confusing. Feel free to edit it if you can phrase - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I've decided to add a second, separate answer to my earlier one in order to flag up a specific suggestion made by another SE user on the English Language & Usage Stack Exchange.

After reading the part in your original question that focussed on how to indicate that the "sh" in "Ashe" was two separate sounds rather than a digraph, I became interested in whether there was an existing means of showing this in English orthography for transcribing real-life foreign languages. So I asked the following question on the English Language & Usage SE, "Is there an equivalent for diaeresis, but for consonants?", citing your question here as being what prompted me to ask.

When it comes to existing usage, the answer appears to be no, there isn't. However SE user "chasly from UK" suggested in this answer that you could simply add a diaeresis to the letter h, like this:

Asḧe

and gave a link to a site giving unicode and HTML codes for doing this.

Another possibility that I think I remember seeing someone do once might be to add a full stop between characters without a following space, thus:

As.he

Personally, I'm going to have two of my characters have an argument about how the hell do you transcribe Alienese s-followed-by-separate-h into English anyway?

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Debbie451

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best