bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do I write an emotional scene? The scene is about one of the protagonist who was until now, more a cold than a warm person. However she's not a sociopath, she just mostly hides her emotions - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I think the best example of this I've encountered is in the book/movie Remains of the Day. The main character is a butler, whose chief trait is total emotional repression. Nevertheless, the author skillfully portrays his emotional state.

If my memory serves me, there's one crucial scene where the butler learns that the housekeeper is leaving. His feelings for her are deeply hidden, even from himself. The only clue to how he really feels is when he goes to fetch the master of the house a bottle of wine --he drops it and it shatters.

It's a small moment, but we've come to know this man as a consummate professional of machine-like perfection. The thought of him dropping anything is absurd. The breakage of the wine bottle lets the reader know how much the housekeeper means to him, even if no other character observes it.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kristi637

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best