bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Does something need to happen in every single chapter? My style of writing is - I think - more investigative into characters and what drives them. I think however that this could be problematic - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

That depends.

That depends on whether you want to write a good book. The key rule of Strunk& White's The Elements of Style is Omit needless words! Presumably this goes for chapters too. If you have a chapter you don't need, it should not exist. Burn it and throw the ashes into the ocean or outer space.

However, the definition of "needing" a chapter is not solely based on plot. Characters and setting are important too. So stick by this folden rule: If a chapter or segment does not advance the plot or develop the characters, cut it. If you find a segment that advances only worldbuilding, cut it and integrate said worldbuilding into other, more interesting parts (in other words, Show don't Tell). The ideal chapter advances all three--plot, characters, setting--equally and at the same time.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Moriarity138

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best