logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Can I use "fuck" as a non-vulgar verb in a fantasy/steampunk world? I've been sending my fourth-ish novel through the my writing group. It is about a trio of teenagers running away from some

BetL639 @BetL639

Posted in: #Conventions #Fantasy #Language #Profanity #Steampunk

I've been sending my fourth-ish novel through the my writing group. It is about a trio of teenagers running away from some mercenaries. One of them (Maris) is a girl who has only had a year of formal education but grew up on a crowded lumber mill. She has a rather blunt way of speaking.

In the story, the POV character (Kanéko) is rescued by the other two.

Kanéko worried her lip. "Why?"

"You were in need."

Maris' ears drooped and she looked sad. "And Ruben said you were in
trouble. And Pahim smelled like he wanted to fuck you. And he's mean.
And I don't think he liked you. And I don't hate you."

Kanéko opened her mouth, and then closed it. She found herself unable
to look into Maris' wide eyes and looked away.

And other example:

"Pahim," snapped Kanéko, "That horrible bastard. I mean... we slept
together and what does he do?" Kanéko's voice rose up as rage filled
her. "Then he kidnaps me and tries to sell me off like some slave!"

Maris gaped. "You fucked Pahim?"

Kanéko gasped, and then blushed hotly. "No! Not like that. I mean, we
were in the same bed but we... didn't do anything. I swear!"

The part that the writing group got hung up was the use of "fuck" in this context. I intended it to be used purely as a verb to describe a specific set of actions with the connotation of not doing it for procreation. I thought about using a different phrase ("mount" or "hump" would be appropriate for the Maris).

My question is: does this throw the reader out? I believe there are some fantasy authors who do use it but I'd just like to know opinions. Is "fuck" so encumbered by today's meaning that it can't be used without dragging in a whole lot of negative connotations?

10.06% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (4) Report

4 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@LarsenBagley300

LarsenBagley300 @LarsenBagley300

At one time in history "fuck" meant simply "to fertilize" or "to have sex with". A late middle ages text ran, if i recall correctly "The farmer fucks the seed into the ground", and this was intended as a perfectly straightforward description.
But that is not true of any current English-speaking community. "Fuck" has acquired a connotation of violence, or at least of lovelessness. There are other terms for 'to have sex with" that are not elaborate euphemisms unlikely to be used in the kind of dialog you quote in the question, but without this distracting connotation, or not as much of it.
I would suggest "lay" as one possibility. It also tends to suggest casual sex without romance, but not as strongly as "fuck" and without the violent overtones. Let's try it in soem of the dialog from the question:

"Pahim," snapped Kanéko, "That horrible bastard. I mean... we slept together and what does he do?" Kanéko's voice rose up as rage filled her. "Then he kidnaps me and tries to sell me off like some slave!"
Maris gaped. "You laid Pahim?"
Kanéko gasped, and then blushed hotly. "No! Not like that. I mean, we were in the same bed but we... didn't do anything. I swear!"

In the othe quote "fuck" actually seems appropriate, the speaker intendes the speech to be a bit shocking i think, but consider:

Maris' ears drooped and she looked sad. "And Ruben said you were in trouble. And Pahim smelled like he wanted to lay you. And he's mean. And I don't think he liked you. And I don't hate you."

Other possible verbs: "Spread", "screw", "ravish" (a bit too old-fashioned, perhaps), "do" (as in "He did her"). Ther are quite a few others possible.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Si5022468

Si5022468 @Si5022468

I kinda agree - it's a little jarring, even if it is only meant to be a verb, not a curse word. My personal opinion, a word that reflects the world specifically might be a better choice here, creatively speaking.

Also, something to consider: your intended audience. If you intend this for a YA audience, it really should be changed.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Hamm6328258

Hamm6328258 @Hamm6328258

I believe it's okay depending on the context you use it.

"Fuck" does throw off a couple readers because it comes off as a jarring to some readers. It's also not widely accepted in society.

However, if your character is built up to have such mannerisms, then it's okay to use it. I wouldn't expect to hear "fuck" from a devout nun, but from a psychopath murderer (which is an extreme), its expected. In this case, "mount" would sound weird.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Debbie451

Debbie451 @Debbie451

Doesn't bother me, considering the context, but then I'm known for having a potty mouth. :) As long as your book is pitched to an adult audience, you're fine.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme