bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How should a narrative parenthetical remark be placed in reference to a dialog quotation? I’m wondering how to place a narrative parenthetical remark in dialog. I’m proofreading a book with - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I’m wondering how to place a narrative parenthetical remark in dialog. I’m proofreading a book with a quote that doesn’t look right to me:

He whispered, “I think she will have a child in Raspberry Moon (this was around July in early summer).”

The remark wasn’t said by the character, so it shouldn’t be in the quote, right?

Thanks.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Phylliss352

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

A "Raspberry Moon" needs to be explained prior to the quote--probably as dialogue, but possibly as part of a third- person omniscient information dump. It is absolutely wrong to put parentheses within the quote. In newspapers and such, parenthetical remarks from the editor are placed in brackets [ ].

Although it would be amateur to do so, one could follow the quote with: And Barney asked, "What's a Raspberry Moon?"

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

If the narrator is making that comment, it should be outside the quote. Here are several iterative revisions:

He whispered, “I think she will have a child in Raspberry Moon." (This was around July in early summer).

He whispered, “I think she will have a child in Raspberry Moon." He said this around July in early summer.

Around July, in early summer, he whispered, “I think she will have a child in Raspberry Moon."

Load Full (0)