bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to excite readers "You have to excite yourself to excite others" Starting with this quote, that I listened to a conference, I really would know the "magic formula" (even I imagin there - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Contrary to the accepted answer I believe there is a magic formula to writing exciting fiction.

It's conflict and how your characters react to it.

There are lots of other aspects such as "show don't tell" where instead of saying "the air was cold" you say something like "Mary pulled her coat tight to protect her from the icy wind" (ie show how character reacts and feels to things rather than just referring to the things).

But this and other things such as stake are auxiliary. How your character reacts to conflict reveals all this.

Everything comes down to character development, which comes from how your characters react to adversity and conflict. They need to be pushed and challenged, and their reactions develop their character. This conflict and character reaction is what will excite your reader.

I recommend the book Immediate Fiction, which breaks down these concepts perfectly.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Jessie137

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best