bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How do you write 2 or more characters saying almost the same thing in unison When 2 or more characters speak in unison you can generally do something like this "awwwww, she's so cute!" - selfpublishingguru.com

10.06% popularity

When 2 or more characters speak in unison you can generally do something like this

"awwwww, she's so cute!" the girls said in unison in near perfect harmony

but what about when the line is only slightly different

Person 1: but i'm not...
Person 2: but she's not...

How would this be written?

Load Full (5)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Jessie137

5 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Here's another option:

“I’m in love with you, Lucy/Natsu!” Then the two of them were surprised to what they just heard from each other.

So the shared part is in common, and the part that's different stands out.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I have been struggling with the same issue, and I have found that the best way to handle dual dialogue that is different by writing the main character's line first, then the other character, underneath. Like this:

“So, why are you here all by yourself?”
"My father had one of his associates drive me." I said hastily.
"My father had an associate bring me." she said at the same time. We glanced at each other awkwardly.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

1. Generalise

I ignored their spluttered protests

This works fine when it doesn't really matter what they're saying.

2. Share a dialogue line

"I said, Do you get me?"

"Sir, yes, sir!" they shouted in unison.

3. If the meaning of each is necessary, call it out.*

Use separate dialogue lines, but indicate in the narration that they spoke at the same time.

"Are you two married?"

"Of course not!" I said.

"Yes, for ages!" Marie said at the same time. A puzzled frown creased the big man's brow.

4. Try to avoid this construction

Really, as others have said, this is a spoken word trope. It rarely or never happens in real life, so there's no need to try to pull it into written dialogue either.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

It's not always necessary to actually write down exactly what they're saying. It might be simpler to simply describe that they spoke at the same time, and their general tone, for example:

They both blurted out their protestations, each of them trying to be the one to deny first.

This can then be followed by each of them saying their own line of dialogue, once it has been established that they're trying to say it at the same time, although it may not be required.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I've seen it written on the same line in defiance of the "new speaker, new paragraph" rule:

"And is this your girlfriend?" Mom asked.
"No, I'm not — " "Absolutely not — " we both protested immediately.

Load Full (0)