logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : How to distinguish two different voices in one book? A relative (who is no longer living) wrote a number of autobiographical pieces which I would like to publish in a book. I would like to

Kristi637 @Kristi637

Posted in: #Formatting #Memoir #Voice

A relative (who is no longer living) wrote a number of autobiographical pieces which I would like to publish in a book. I would like to include four or five chapters written by myself, that would supplement the relative's memories. In addition, some chapters will require a small amount of text written by me, usually at either the beginning or the end of the chapter. By "small," I mean half a page or less.

How do I distinguish between the two voices? I was thinking that for a short bit inside a chapter, I could use italics, or the dreaded footnote. But I don't want to use italics for a whole chapter. I don't want to have to use my first name in the chapter title three or four times. That would be embarrassing. (My chapters mostly come at the end of the book, but there's one that comes in the middle.)

10.04% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (4) Report

4 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Hamm6328258

Hamm6328258 @Hamm6328258

Besides the obvious solution of using an explicit identifier, you can play on the visual aspect subtly.

It hadn't to be so too IN YOUR FACE as you name it, because, other than the bold and italic, you could play with the multiple shad of gray. use different fon, or change the background slightly,

The reader eye Will catch the variation, and if you use an observable change of ton that they could associate with it, and give them a hint the first time. I think you'll be able to make them feel it without a lot of additional effort.

I suggest to go with a hand handwriting font for your personal entries, such as aspire

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Kimberly114

Kimberly114 @Kimberly114

Very simple. Put the lesser voice in bold or italic font. The reader will perceive this as a different voice. You may also preface the entire passage with an identifier i.e. Joe; Twas brillig and the slithy toves

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Dunderdale623

Dunderdale623 @Dunderdale623

It's possible to make the difference apparent without spelling everything out.

For example, supposing the reader knows what your relative's name is, if you start your chapters by mentioning him on the third person, the reader will understand the narrator had changed. To flow back to the main text, hint at what's coming next, and put a clear separation.

Is there a need to use "I" in your chapters, or can you manage entirely without? If you focus on explanation text, you can remove yourself from the chapter entirely; write not as yourself, but as an anonymous observer.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Debbie451

Debbie451 @Debbie451

Set off your part with some kind of identifier:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum zzril delenit augue duis dolore te feugait nulla facilisi.
Aparente Smith: About two months passed where Joan didn't write in her diary. We can guess that she continued in her job, since the next entry picks up with another lament about her coworker David.
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum zzril delenit augue duis dolore te feugait nulla facilisi.

For a chapter head, I'd be fine with reading Aparente Smith: Interlude or something similar.
I hear you about one paragraph vs. an entire chapter of italics, and I have to agree. A little is okay, but pages and pages becomes exhausting.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme