bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Need recommendation re: online resume format I'm drafting a resume for a job opportunity & would love recommendations on a formatting issue. My resume has many bullet points and some tables. - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I'm drafting a resume for a job opportunity & would love recommendations on a formatting issue. My resume has many bullet points and some tables. However, I'm challenged by online job applications where I can't submit my resume directly but rather must copy it into the employer's online job application. Basically, I end up with a text-only situation where my resume loses all its nice formatting (including my bullet points and tables). I've tried copying in various symbols from MS Word but they get turned into square characters. To cope with the loss of the bullets, I try to recreate the outline like this:
"A. Raised 0,000 per year
B. Guided project management team
C. Reported on revenue and projected future trends
D. Etc."

Alternatively, I might just use a long list: "Raised 0,000 per year, guided project management team, reported on revenue and projected future trends, etc."

I have no solutions for the lost tables other than long lists. If I try to use the tab button, I just get sent to a different field. If I try to use manual spacing, I find the result messy.

I think both formats lack aesthetic appeal. Is there a way to use symbols similar to bullets in these text-only online resumes? Are there techniques for preserving tables in some manner?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Tiffany377

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Pretend you are writing an email, and that the recipient will read it as plain text. "To put spacing between sections, hit 'enter' instead of using the space bar.... To highlight subheadings, use all caps. In lieu of bullet points, use "-" or "*" characters" (How to Format a Resume for Online Applications). (You can also use "+".)

See if you can find an email address or fax number for the recruiter or HR person, so you can fax or attach the formatted pdf version.

Load Full (0)