bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : About your take on Possession I think this is a very interesting idea, and one that I find a lot more provoking (in a good way) than the usual ways people use and treat 'possession' in - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

About your take on Possession

I think this is a very interesting idea, and one that I find a lot more provoking (in a good way) than the usual ways people use and treat 'possession' in modern stories. I too have found the "easy" and "complete" cleansing frustratingly unrealistic in most of the stories I've experienced. This, however, is just a personal opinion.

This is probably a rather extreme case of the "your mileage may vary".

It is perhaps the most extreme I've come across so far (not that I'm particularly experienced in the reading/writing community).

I immediately thought of the quote from the possessed: [mature language below]

"Let Jesus f*** you" (While stabbing herself in the crotch with a crucifix)

-from a scene in The Exorcist (1973). This, to me, showed how gruesome a demonic possession would likely be. It terrified the hell out of me as a kid and again as a young adult.

People are different, and there are a lot of people to take it differently.

About the potential issue

Though I personally find it appealing and would like to read such a story, I understand your hesitation regarding handling the subject of rape, and this is where I too feel hesitant to fully support the idea.

The potential harm or trauma it could cause and the critique it could receive from actual rape victims or relatives might not make your work seem worth it if it is received negatively.

I haven't heard of The Exorcist being accused of handling the subject of rape carelessly, but I haven't looked for stories/articles on the subject, and would not pretend to know what a victim and/or their relatives go through.

Counterpoint

To me, your description of 'the aftermath' makes for an interesting basis for the story or stories. More importantly, it could open people's eyes to a more critical look at the way rape victims are perceived and treated today. If done well, it could actually make for a way for people to more easily relate to the topic easier, which would make your work more than just worthy of print.

One way to look at the risk/reward: Ask yourself:

What do I want to achieve with the story?
Would people automatically make the connection to the subject of rape?
Does my current plan/strategy/plot make it possible for me to achieve this, and still show respect to the delicate subject within the story?
Is it worth the risk, to me, to attempt it?

If your answers (spelled out clearly or thought through in your head) make you believe in your work, I say go for it.

If you are not yet sure of the answers - which your question here suggests, I'd say you need to thoroughly work on the way you handle the connection to the subject of rape. Asking around is probably a good start, and I'm fairly certain that people will respect you for respecting the subject.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Hamm6328258

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best