bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Describing laughter in dialogue? I'm having a problem that is not addressed by The Chicago Manual of Style or the AP Style Guide I have access to: How does a writer express laughter in fiction? - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Oh God! not the dialogue tag debate . . . again.

Firstly, those who believe 'said' is the only valid dialogue tag and dialogue tags should be invisible are misled. It's fine if you don't write a lot of dialogue - otherwise it's the worst advice possible. - Write a long dialogue exchange using only 'said' as a tag, the read it out aloud. It'll sound like Chinese water torture.

To the OP. There is no ONE way, or a CORRECT way to write most things. Ultimately there is only YOUR way.

Much like words . . . if you use the same word to describe the same action the prose becomes repetitive. You may use all any any method do indicate laughter in the same passage.

"So you see then it's a robot," said Bob.

"I see."

"What's so funny? Why are you laughing?"

"I didn't. I'm not," replied Dave, obscuring his mouth with his hand. "Carry on . . ."

"So the robot . . ."

"Ha-ha-ha!"

"What's so funny!"

"Nothing," replied Dave attempting to curtail his laughter. "Gimme one sec . . ."

Bob laughed. "I suppose it is kinda funny."

"Ha-ha!" Dave erupted. "A bug turning into a robot isn't funny. It's ridiculous!"

Think I've used most methods.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Shelley992

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best