bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Writing for a broad spectrum of readers. How do you engage the elite whilst appealing to the base? I've always struggled with this. I like to write at the top of my knowledge without leaving - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

If you try to please everyone, you please no-one. Finnegan's Wake (Joyce) has gained and retained a reputation as a great classic of the English language, despite working hard at every turn to confound and confuse the reader (and arguably not even being written in real "English").

If your writing is good enough, and if you are true enough to your own personal vision, you are likely to gain at least a niche audience of passionate fans, which has been enough to keep many a book alive for centuries.

Typically, books that appeal to a broad popular audience do so because their authors are naturally at home (or have found a way to make themselves at home) with a broadly popular idiom or genre, not because they have deliberately tried to "dumb down" their work. In other words, they are attuned to the broader audience, not chasing it (and certainly not condescending to it).

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Samaraweera193

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best