bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: When is it "not okay" to say a spoiler in writing? I feel like I've said too much in the first few chapters of my novel, but it feels necessary. The story tells of who is invading, and - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

You may write your story any way you wish. I'm surprised by so many who have read stories who do not apply that information and experience to their writing.

Stories do not have to be written in a linear way. You can start your story at any point in time. You do not need to front load info-dumps and backstory.

e.g. You could start with Earth troops taking off for the final conflict. As the countdown begins your MC reflects on his personal journey to this point in time. The reflection can run to several pages or chapters.

Roll the story on in real time until Bob asks Steve what made him sign up to 'SpaceForce'.

"London," replies Steve. "They gave us the 'We come in peace bullshit'. . . and we believed them, dropped our guard. They levelled the entire City. I had family in London . . ."

Every time a character has an extended though you are going back in time.

The second novel I ever wrote opens with a pregnant woman sitting in a waiting room she begins to recall the events that got her there - she's still sitting in the same place 300 pages later.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Alves689

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best