bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Online resources searchable for example sentences from literature I know several sites that provide plenty of example sentences for a given word, but they are usually rather colloquial. I also - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I know several sites that provide plenty of example sentences for a given word, but they are usually rather colloquial.

I also have one dictionary that provides example sentences from classic English language literature for many entries, but it can naturally only list one or two examples.

Would there be a resource that allows (by word) queries for sentences from classic English literature? I imagine this would be of considerable help, particularly when trying to emulate the style of an era long past.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Chiappetta298

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

The OED (Oxford English Dictionary) online provides words used in sentences with their different meanings. The examples are usually taken from literature. In the UK, many libraries, including county libraries, subscribe to the OED and if you have a library card you can use it online for free.

Otherwise, there are various 'corpus' sites. These allow you to look for specific words, but I don't want to recommend a particular one because it depends on what country you are in and exactly what type of text you want e.g. a spoken language corpus isn't going to be much use to you.

Load Full (0)