bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Trademarked toys as an inspiration to a novel - should I contact the producer? Sorry for any mistakes - I'm not a native English speaker. I've started writing my first novel which I would like - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

As weckar pointed out, there really is no issue with this AS LONG AS you don't sit there and say the toy blah blah blah from Lego... then you are drawing a link between an actual product and your world. Everyone has inspirations from things and as such it is not a crime to be inspired by said things.

Make up your own toy company. Many shows, movies, and other media tend to do a spoof on things so that they don't run into legal issues. I can't tell you how many fictitious coffee shops I have seen with a logo that looks SIMILAR to starbucks with a semi similar name, but obviously different. It helps the audience to know you are referencing something about them without actually copying since the logo and name are different.

Ultimately the audience is smart enough to draw the conclusions that your inspiration is from the real thing. Just make sure you don't actually mention the real thing. Spoof it.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Tiffany377

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best