bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Is consonance good or bad in fiction? Example from my own writing: I cupped my nose—when I should have covered my ears. To block the wicked mocking of my classmates. I was told by - selfpublishingguru.com

10.04% popularity

Example from my own writing:

I cupped my nose—when I should have covered my ears. To block the
wicked mocking of my classmates.

I was told by another writer that I should avoid this kind of writing. Is he right? Or consonance is actually desired in fiction?

Load Full (3)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Tiffany377

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I'm fond of consonance I find in prose when it reads fluidly. I don't understand why things that are considered useful tools in poetry should be avoided in prose.

And no one has mentioned it so far, but I like the consonance in your first sentence--cupped & covered--the similarity of the sounds goes nicely with the parallel structure of the thought.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I agree with Mark. I also don't care for your example. I don't have the full context, but it seems to me "wicked" is too strong a modifier for "mocking", which I tend to think of as harmless ribbing. But I grew up in an unforgiving neighborhood, so perhaps I am more callous than most.

If consonance in general appeals to you, I'd suggest it could be a character trait for one of your actors; sometimes funny, sometimes awkward: That's who she is, it could give her a distinct "voice". You can point it out by sometimes having other characters make fun of her for her more strained efforts at consonance.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

There is not a 'rule' about it being right or wrong, any more than there is one about alliteration. Judge what effect it has in a particular situation and then decide whether you want that effect or not.

Load Full (0)